We are hiring!
Bernwood Ecology is a small but growing team with a reputation for excellence, looking to recruit an ecologist to meet increasing workloads. This full-time permanent position will be a fantastic opportunity for the right candidate to build on existing knowledge and understanding of biodiversity and ecology.
Bernwood Ecology is a CIEEM registered consultancy specialising in terrestrial ecology, operating primarily within and around Buckinghamshire. Our award-winning work has been recognised for its high standards and consistent delivery of evidence-based solutions for human-wildlife coexistence. As Evidence Champions, where possible or agreed, Bernwood Ecology proudly publishes conservation intervention results, successful or otherwise, in the Conservation Evidence journal and other peer-reviewed journals.
The successful candidate will be involved from start to completion in a diverse range of projects in both the public and private sectors. The work includes surveys, mapping and reporting; frequent engagement with the planning system; and habitat creation and enhancement design schemes.
One-to-one training on all aspects of ecological consultancy and professional development is part of Bernwood Ecology’s core company ethos, ensuring each team member feels individually valued and supported. A work-life balance is encouraged within the needs of the business. A company vehicle is available for work purposes. We operate hybrid working practices (home and office), along with visits to sites.
Applicants will already live or be willing to live within a reasonable commuting distance of Milton Keynes due to the demanding bat survey season. The role comes with a salary commensurate to experience and skills.
We are looking for applicants that:
- Have prior experience of working in the industry, or similar fields
- Have experience in protected species surveys (great crested newts, bats, reptiles, badgers and Preliminary Ecological Appraisals)
- Hold a protected species survey licence (bat and/or great crested newt class licences preferable)
- Are a CIEEM member or qualify to be
- Have a good understanding of UK wildlife legislation, planning processes and policy
- Have experience of preparing European Protected Species Licence (EPSL)
- Write reports to high standards with attention to detail
- Are competent in GIS (preferably QGIS), Microsoft Office and ideally statistics programs such as R
- Have a degree in a relevant discipline
- Hold a CSCS card appropriate for the role
- Have a full driving licence free of endorsements and own (or have use of) a car insured for business purposes
Bernwood Ecology look forward to employing an ecologist who can hit the ground running. If you think this is you, please apply with your CV and brief cover letter detailing how you meet the job description. Applications will be accepted until 12th December 2021, or until the job vacancy is filled.
Reference ID: Ecologist December 2021
Application Deadline: 12/12/2021
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £19,500.00-£27,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Work from home
- Night shift (required)
- Day shift (required)
- Overnight shift (required)
COVID-19 considerations: Bernwood Ecology meets with current best practice measures regarding COVID-19 and prevention of transmission of the virus through a robust policy and risk assessment process.
Remote working: Temporarily due to COVID-19
Ability to commute/relocate: Reliably commute or plan to relocate (MK17) before starting work (required)
Licence/Certification: Driving licence (required)
Application question(s): Availability to work flexible hours, including day, evening/night/dawn and weekends to fit the nature of the business.
Language: English (required)