We are looking for two candidates who can bring proven ecological consultancy experience to our team. If you are looking for a career different to conventional ecological consultancy and you have a genuine interest in the natural world and creating positive solutions we would love to hear from you. These full-time, permanent positions will be a fantastic opportunity for the right candidates to build on existing knowledge and understanding of ecology. The successful candidates will be involved from start to completion in a range of projects in both the public and private sectors. The work includes surveys, analysis and reporting; engagement with stakeholders, inter-disciplinary project teams and the planning system as well as habitat creation and enhancement schemes.
- Full driving licence and own vehicle
- Live or be willing to relocate to within reasonable commuting distance of MK17
- Ability to listen, speak, read and write in English to a professional proficiency
- Degree in a relevant discipline
- Minimum two years’ experience of working in ecological consultancy or similar
- Confident in Preliminary Ecological Appraisal and protected species surveys
- Hold a protected species survey licence
- Self-motivated with personal achievement goals
- CIEEM member (ACIEEM minimum) or qualify to be
- Good understanding of UK wildlife legislation, planning processes and policy
- Able to write reports to high standards (e.g. PEA, PRA, EcIA)
- Competent in GIS (preferably QGIS), Microsoft Office
- Experience of preparing European Protected Species Licences
- CSCS card appropriate for role
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference ID: Ecologist March 2023
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £25,000.00-£30,000.00 per year
Bernwood Ecology meets with current best practice measures regarding COVID-19 and prevention of transmission of the virus through a robust policy and risk assessment process.
- Casual dress
- On-site parking
- Work from home
Bernwood Ecology is a long-established CIEEM registered consultancy with a small, close-knit team looking to recruit experienced ecologists to meet increasing workloads. Bernwood Ecology specialises in terrestrial ecology and generally operates within and around the south Midlands however we will travel further afield if a particularly interesting project becomes available.
As a consultancy, we are different in that a large proportion of our work is focussed on historic buildings and landscapes in some of the most beautiful areas of the country. This type of work brings challenges and often requires collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders but provides a genuine opportunity to engage in fascinating, long-term projects which are working towards sustainable and effective ecological solutions.
Our award-winning work has been recognised for its high standards and delivery of evidence-based solutions, an example being a project which won the BCT Roost Awards 2021: http://www.bats.org.uk/our-work/buildings-planning-and-development/roost-replacement-and-enhancement/awards
We are able to offer regular one-to-one training on all aspects of ecological consultancy as well as opportunities to attend external courses. Individual interests and research projects are encouraged as part of Bernwood Ecology’s core ethos, ensuring each team member feels individually valued and supported.
At Bernwood Ecology, we understand that a work-life balance is crucially important to the wellbeing of staff and for the business to be successful. We believe that hard work deserves recognition and pay overtime as well as flexible working hours. We operate hybrid working practices (home and office) and have a work vehicle available for site visits.